Monday, April 1, 2013

K-Cups

K-Cups

Responses to the article:


The biggest threat I believe will be other single serving coffee makers that can be purchased.  The machine itself only last so long, it is a large purchase but not large enough to stop customers from looking around to upgrade or replace their coffee maker every few years.  Of one that comes to mind is Starbucks single serving machine.  If I had not just purchased my Keurig, that would have been my coffee maker of choice.  So in a few years when I do opt to purchase a new one, it will be interesting to see what options are available in the single serving coffee maker market.

I do believe there is room for improvement for the design of the K-Cup. They tend to be too large and take up too much space.  I don’t really appreciate having a spindle of single coffee k cups on my counter, it is too bulky and just adds to additional clutter.  Even stored in a cabinet their circle shape does not have many advantages for stacking and storing.  So, yes, I do think the design will be “gone with the wind”

What model do they follow?  They follow the I/O perspective on value creation.   The environment of the single coffee maker/product is dominated by the influence of the external environment.  

Protecting themselves from competitors:
I think they have started to do this already, but my suggest would be to offer a couple of models, including one on the lower end that generic models wouldn’t be able to price cut.  If they are able to provide a model that lures consumers into their brand, they could get them hooked and when they go to upgrade or replace the product they have opened the door for the customer to stick with their brand and a potential upgrade to one of their standard or deluxe machines.



No comments:

Post a Comment